Now that we are in our own home. Have two kids, and what you could say as "settled". I've been thinking a lot about traditions. Levi's family doesn't really have any, and with us not living close to my family...it's seems we are on our own in that respect. I know one thing that we did in my parents house, on Christmas Eve we all got new pj's to open and to wear that night and for Christmas morning. I know I'll keep that tradition! I think I may just wear pj's that whole day. :) I also LOVE that my dad read the Christmas Story. Out of this great big Bible. Really it was huge! The Bible was a decorative one that my parents got for their wedding, and it was only used on Christmas. Half the time as kids, we were only half listening because we wanted to get to all those presents! :) It's very important though, to remind the kids of the reason for giving, and the real reason we have Christmas. SO, we will of course keep that tradition as well! After, depending on how early Jenna woke us up. ;-) We would all go back to bed, then mom would make us a great big breakfast. Later that evening we would have a big ham dinner. I know I'll make us a big breakfast, but I'm a little unsure about how the rest of the day will play out.
Then there is Thanksgiving coming up. I think the norm is Levi's family will celebrate Thanksgiving the day after. So, the day of I think what I'll do to make it special is to make a "special" breakfast. I'm thinking waffles with peach topping and ice cream, and of course bacon. Then after breakfast we put up the Christmas tree and decorate the house. Levi's mom wants him to scan a bunch of old photos for her so after we get done decorating we will head across the street. I think every year may be a little different like that. I've noticed since moving that I've become a lot less worked up about things I can't control. Yay! lol.
I noticed on Graces blog, or maybe it was facebook. She did a thanksgiving tree. They had a tree on the window, and every day they added a leaf and wrote what they were thankful for. I'm not sure if it was pre-made, but it could easily be made just out of construction paper. It's a wonderful idea! I really like that once again, it gives meaning to a holiday. Maybe that will be a tradition as well. Thanks Grace! :)
So, quick change of subject. Here's a picture of what Levi worked on this week. He's so proud of him self! Now that things are getting more normal. I'm hoping he can work in his shop more often! Great things come out of it. :)
 |
| Levi did this a couple nights ago. It look really cool in person! |
 |
| This is how it all started (the out house themed bathroom). I found this picture when we lived in Alaska. I still think I want a moon and a star, but I think it looks great as it is, at least right now. I found a primitive store about 20 min. away that has really neat stuff for an out house theme. SO, so, SO, EXCITED!! |
Okey dokie...Levi is wanting banana bread. Selah is napping, and Noah is playing with his toys. So now is a good time to make it! :)
Cherrio!
It's so hard to do Thanksgiving and Christmas as each year brings changes that I haven't figured it all out yet. I'm so glad you're in your house. It will be fun for you to decorate for Christmas. The simple things make it special.
ReplyDeleteI love the little addition to your bathroom. I think you should add the moon and star to the door.
I love you guys...and miss you more than you'll ever know.
Traditions are a good thing. They help anchor the family. We had the Christmas Eve tradition of new pajamas when I was growing up and it continued throughout my children's childhood. I kept up the tradition with my grandchildren until they started piling up and I got overwhelmed. I always MADE the pajamas and nightgowns and all of a sudden I couldn't make that many outfits in such a short time. :-) Besides, my two daughters seemed to have a whole wardrobe of Christmas flannel nightgowns. HA!
ReplyDeleteI love your outhouse theme. I've been planning to have an outhouse theme in my main floor bathroom. I'm thinking I might even paint some outhouses on the walls in there, or maybe make an appliqued outhouse shower curtain. I have some other "custom" plans for in there. Someday.
We made our Thankful Tree completely out of construction paper. Nothing was pre-made. Just thought I'd let you know. :)
ReplyDeleteIt was always a tradition to wear new Christmas PJ's on Christmas Eve in our home too. It's something that I have carried on in my home as well. One day I know Zoe, Max, and Titus will appreciate that like I did when I was a kid!
Traditions are so special, aren't they?
I SO LOVE the pj tradition! Sis. Smith I've seen the flannel night gowns the girls have worn in pictures on Sis.Rebekahs blog.They make for some great Chirstmas pictures!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the out house theme!! I think painting them on the wall is extra cool! The one bad thing about a log home is...I can't wall paper. I would too, if I could! In the bathroom, I would wall paper one wall in outhouses. Or at the very least have a border of outhouses. I like the barn siding idea Levi had though...It's a little more then half done. It's nice if you have time...to fishish the plan. :-P hahaha...someday.:)
Mom, I know. I'm trying to get out of the "bummer" feeling. It will all get more normal with each new year. Hopefully, some year soon...we can all be together once again on Thanksgiving or Christmas! How cool will that be!!!!!!!!
Grace, Your thanksgiving tree looked soooo good! :)
Yes! Traditions are really special!