Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Selah's Birth Story

I know...it has only taken me 4 weeks to post. ;-)

I'm still a little amazed at how "easy" her birth was. God....He not only gives you your hearts desire, but for me...(and this isn't the first time) He went way beyond anything I could have imagined. Between the pregnancy and not having the gestational diabetes.... and birth, Selah was just easy. I KNOW God was in it, and I feel...unworthy of such a blessing.

I really enjoy hearing about other people births, I actuelly learned a lot from others telling their stories. Because Selah's birth was very natural, and my body did exactly what it was made to do.... it was such a amazingly rewarding and happy experiance. So I want to remember the detailes. Although, I may be sharing more then others care to read. ;-)

Selah Lynn Stephens
7lbs 12oz    19.5 inchs
Born at 5:53 on Tuesday June 26, 2012
Monday June 25 I had my last doctor appointment. I was 39 weeks and 4 days. I''m going to back up  though....the week before at my 38 week appoitment she had stripped my membranes while doing her check. I had NO idea what she was doing, so when she told me I was a little disturbed that she did that with out asking me. I had been having some serious false contractions so she assumed my body was on the verge of real labour. Well....SIKE. That whole day after I cramped a lot, but mostly felt achy and tired. So when I went in for my 39 week appointment I was going to tell her we weren't going to do that again. I changed my mind though when she said she only lets her patients go to 41 weeks. One major thing I did NOT want, was to be induced. Been there, done that...and it did not end well. From what I had read, stripping the membranes was harmless as long as it's not done too early. Seeming I wasn't 40 weeks I was a little leary....but needed the time... so it seemed a good idea to give it a shot. I was already 5cm and she said I was easily stretched to 6cm. So why not go for it?

That evening I did a lot squats, and Levi, Noah and I went for a super long walk. At about 3:30am the next morning. I got up to use the bathroom, I was feeling some small contractions...but that wasn't abnormal really. I went ahead and got my time clock out just in case. They were coming really lightly. Lasting 20 seconds every 5 min. So I got out of bed and took a bath. It wasn't really that comfortable to sit, and the contractions were seeming to be more uncomfortable. By the time I got out the tub, I was getting two 20 seconded contractions every 4 min. So I woke Levi up and said I was pretty sure this was the real deal. BUT I told him, I would get dressed and ready.... and then wake him up if they didn't fizzle out. It didn't take long before I got the contractions that I had to stop and sway through. At that point I yelled for Levi that we gotta go. He called his mom to come and get Noah. He got dressed and ready, and we were out the door and in the suburban by 4:45 a.m.

The contractions on the way weren't fun, but doable. I'm soooo glad we took the suburban! I had room while having contractions to be on my knees on the front seat bent over swaying. The "swaying" seemed to help for whatever reason. I also remember chanting "you got this", "you got this" during the contractions. The hospital is about a half hour away, so by the end of the half hour the contractions were getting more intense and closer together. I can't get over natural labour though. It's SOOO great how you get these amazing breaks. Inbetween contractions I was talking to my mom on the phone. When a contraction would come I would put the phone down and go back to my chanting and swaying. :)

Once we got to the hospital we had to wait a little while for a wheel chair. Which I thought was pointless because there was no way I was going to sit in it. I had 2 or more contractions in that time, so I headed to the bathroom to do labour in privet. I might add when the wheel chair did come, it sounded like they were going to MAKE ME sit in it. They had to call up to the maturnity ward to ask if I could walk. How stupid is that? Anyway, I pretty much insisted on walking, the thought of sitting while having a contraction seemed like torture. Plus, I knew if I could walk during as many contractions that I could, it would help move the baby down.

When we got up to labour and delivery things kinda get fuzzy. I know I got my gown on, and they wanted to check me. Which I know I made it pretty apparent that I wasn't thrilled about laying down. They checked me and I was 8 or 9cm. I had a pretty intense contraction right after they were done so I jumed out of that stupid bed. As I did, my bag of water started to leak......after the contraction they once again made me get back in bed. Seriously, I hated that bed. So I laid on my right side, not on my back. They asked me a ton of needless questions about my education and other pointless stuff seeming I was hard labour at that point....and put me on an IV for I think fluids. During that time my contractions were really strong. I remember telling them, that I must not have a very high pain tollerance and pretty much begged for anything to help me. They said the baby would be here before they could give me anything. Really, all I needed was some encouragement. The contractions weren't so bad when I took REALLY DEEP slow breaths and RELAXED!! It's amazing how relaxing makes the all differance!! Hard to do...but it REALLY works. Levi never said a word, he just watched....but the nurses would chime in with encouragement here and there and that was always really helpful. It was just the last 4 or 5 contractions that I felt like I wouldn't be able to do it. Then I got the urge to push. BUT my doctor wasn't there!! So they told me not too. RIGHT!! Their nuts. I tried not too....but I know I did at least a little.....just then the doctor walked through the door. They told her I wanted to push, and I did. HARD. I pushed a 2nd time when I had the urge and she was all the way out. The doctor was ready but, barely it seemed. I was still laying mostly on my side....I was amazed that there was no pain when it came to pushing. It felt good even. I always assumed it would be one of the most painful parts, like it was with Noah....and also worried that I would have major issues like I did when it came to pushing Noah out. Not the case and I'm thankful I know that now!!!!!!!

After she was out the doc. stiched me up, I think it was only 1 or 2 stiches ( first degree tair). After that, I wanted to go home. I felt like it was weird that we had to stay for 3 days.

Selah was perfect. No issues. She latched on real easy (unlike Mr. Noah), and didn't lose too much weight.

She is still perfect,and beautiful! Gaining weight wonderfully, and is just a mellow easy baby!! 

God is SOOOOOOO good!!

6 comments:

  1. That's SO AWESOME!!! Your awesome! God is so good <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for Selah and your birth story. It was ALMOST a "natural" childbirth--SO CLOSE. It's impossible to have a truly natural childbirth in a hospital. They always want to hook you up to IVs and poke you with needles and do dumb things like make you sit in a wheelchair or stay in a bed. :-) HA!
    Selah is beautiful. I'm so happy for you guys. Will you get to come to the Assembly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you send me your e-mail address? My address is vic at (I don't want to put the symbol in here in case there might be some spyware that would pick up on it and start sending me all sorts of spam) thecomputersmith.net
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. About time you blogged. You have no excuses after all you've got a perfect baby girl and a little man to help you all day. :) Love you honey. I enjoyed the details and I'm so glad for technology that I was able to be there with you in even a small way and know everything was going good. AND of course I love my little lady. I so wish you all could make the assembly.

    Give everyone hugs and kisses from gamma. Oh by the way, every time Savannah sees Selah she say "ahhhhh". She knows she's adorable too. Miss you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, thankful for Gods goodness. I think I told you this before but I am so thankful standing up during labor worked for you as well as it did for me. I hated that bed too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy that Selah's birth story isn't as stressful as Noah's! Also, I'm glad you were able to do it natural -- just like you wanted!

    ReplyDelete