Thursday, March 26, 2009

I'm Glad I'm Not At Work!


















Alaska Volcano Observatory A large eruption of Redoubt volcano occurred at 09:24 AKDT (17:24 UTC) this morning. National Weather Service reports the cloud height to be at least 65,000 ft above sea level and pilot reports indicated a plume height of 60,000 ft. Since this event, a few smaller events have occurred but these did not generate plumes above about 20,000 feet.

The eruption at 9:24 AKDT also produced a lahar in the Drift River valley that was detected by seismic instruments.

An ashfall advisory is in effect until 4 PM for the western Kenai Peninsula. High level ash (above 30,000 feet) is forecast to pass over Anchorage, but is not expected to produce ash fall. For more information refer to the NWS Redoubt Coordination web page (http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/volcano.php) for latest ash cloud information.

AVO is monitoring the situation closely, the observatory is staffed 24/7, and attempts to overfly the volcano will occur as soon as possible. More details on this mornings eruption also will be released on AVO's web page as soon as possible.

I was looking on alaskaair.com...punched in the flight numbers that I knew..... and sure enough all the flights were canceled. There are a lot of Seattle flights during the day...so the ticket counter I'm sure is pretty busy right now.

4 comments:

  1. Ha, well thank the Lord you get some down time, especially right now! :) love ya, and responded on myspace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank the good Lord God that Nathan made it straight through from Kalispell to Bethel with no problems. The volcano blew while he was in the air between Seattle and Anchorage. But he made it in and got on the flight to Bethel. He was only 1 minute later than the scheduled arrival in Bethel. Now is that God or what. There was a window and he came right through it. Kind of like the Red Sea, the Israelites came right through it, but the Egyptians couldn't make it. Thank the Lord that Nathan is home safe and sound. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to tell you. The jet that brought Nathan to Bethel couldn't go back to Anchorage. It was re-routed to Fairbanks. See the window of time closed right behind him. WOW! I am amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SOOOOO cool Sis. Connie!!!!!!!! God IS good!!!!

    ReplyDelete