Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Spirit Of Heaviness

I'm posting this mostly for someone I know...I'm certainly not the one to give advice in the matter, for it's something the devil keeps attacking me with too. Sometimes daily. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Satan takes great pleasure seeing a child of God unhappy, so he'll keep attacking at a weak area.

I got to thinking tonight though, about a devotion I did in Anchorage at their Ladies Retreat.

It brought me back to Isaiah 61.
"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified."
My portion of the scripture I was asked to do a devotion on was "the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness.."

I'll post the devotion(remember I'm not a writer;),but to sum it up. I'm reminded to Praise Jesus. Like Sis. Grace said in one of her lasts posts. If that is all you can get out. Just say His name, and praise Him for All He is. At the sound of His great name the enemy HAS TO FLEE!!!!

The Spirit of Heaviness

There was a message preached by Bro. Nowling some time ago. That I’ll never forget, because it rang SO true!! It was on spirits, and how these spirits that are NOT of God can set upon us and cling to us without our even taking notice. These spirits can even walk with us into a church service. Into the house of God. Allowing us to sing with out worshiping, and hear the message with out listening to it. One of these spirits is what Isaiah 61 calls the “spirit of heaviness”. Satan our adversary is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. He likes to use many tricks and devices, and one of his tactics is to send a "spirit of heaviness" upon us. When we recognize this, we then are able to defeat him. What does this spirit do? Many of us have felt it, including myself! It can overtake us and give the devil undeserved victory in our lives.
• It darkens our countenance: This spirit brings”heaviness" over us...
• It dims our vision, robs our hope. The room may actually look and feel darker.
• It brings a heavy, oppressive feeling. It quenches our faith and hope.
• It may come over many, all at once, like a plague. It can be like a cloud, hanging over a place.
• It causes us to isolate ourselves, it steals our love, and makes us feel all alone.

This spirit can result in:
• Excessive Mourning
• Sorrow – Grief
• Insomnia
• Self – Pity
• Broken Heart
• Despair-Dejection-Hopelessness
• Depression
• Inner Hurts
• Suicidal thoughts
• Self hatred, self-rejection, self accusation
• The feeling of a torn spirit

There is hope though! Jesus Christ came to earth from His holy heaven, as the perfect sacrifice. He died on the cross, and in doing so conquered death AND Satan. ALL, so that we may have the CHOICE of freedom from the chains that Satan binds us with. He has given us power and authority, through His blood to defeat all spirits, including the spirit of heaviness.
He has given us beautiful alternatives. On the alter he has laid out for us the “Oil of joy for mourning, and the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness”. All we have to do it reach out and receive it.
In the oil of Joy, you’ll find the uniting of Christ’s endless love, expectation, patience, hope, rest, and perfect peace. The oil of joy is filled with beauty, exhilaration, and rejoicing. This joy when poured out slices through the darkness of the fiercest’ of storms, the pouring rain, and shines the bight light of hope.
Offered to all, is also the radiant “garment of praise”. This garment covers you from head to toe. It is beaded in gorgeous accolade, sown in adoration, and made from the purest form of worship. When cloaked in the garment of praise you find God’s address… where He is… and where you will always want to stay! Where God lives, the devil goes no where near. He flees. The spirit of heaviness, and the chains that once had you bound fall off as your arms raise in the freedom, and in the victory found in the presence of Christ.



4 comments:

  1. I needed reminded of this too honey! Luv u.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Message! I looked up the word "depression" once and found one of the definitions to be "defeated". Your message teaches us not to be defeated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a good Job Jessa.....Thank you for sharing the message :)

    ReplyDelete